Join us on Spirit of the Wild
Cruise quietly in 'Whisper Mode'
Our awarding-winning Gordon River Cruise is a truly immersive experience. Take in the tranquil surrounds of the Gordon River as you glide across the water in 'Whisper Mode'. Our dedicated guides and character-based interpretations will take you through the history of this remarkable place, including Macquarie Harbour, Hells Gates, Heritage Landing and Sarah Island.
To see a 360° view of Spirit of the Wild and surrounds, click here.
GORDON RIVER CRUISE INCLUSIONS
- Quiet cruising on the Gordon River with Spirit of the Wild's unique hybrid system
- First access to the Gordon River ensuring the best possible chance of seeing the famous reflections
- Dedicated on-board guides
- Character-based interpretation during which you'll meet the likes of Captain James Kelly, Lady Jane Franklin and more
- Chef-prepared buffet lunch
- Three seating options, including the Premier Upper Deck
- Audio tours for international guests (reservation recommended)
- Two walking tours (Heritage Landing and Sarah Island)
- Open bar on the Premier Upper Deck
- Cash bar on the Main Deck
PREMIER UPPER DECK ADDITIONAL INCLUSIONS
- Complimentary Tasmanian red, white and sparkling wines, as well as beers, juices, tea and espresso coffee
- Premium leather recliners with full-length windows
- Private viewing deck and lounge area
- Morning, afternoon tea and canapés
TIMING AND DURATION
- Please check-in at 8:00am for an 8.30am departure from the main wharf in Strahan
- Total tour duration is approx 6 hours
- Don’t forget your boarding passes! You can collect these from us on the Esplanade the day before or by 8.15am on the morning of your cruise.
- Main Deck Central: $140 adult, $69 child (3-16 yrs)
- Main Deck Window: $175 adult, $89 child (3-16 yrs)
- Premier Upper Deck: $295 adult or child
- Family Main Deck Central: $315 per family of 2 adults and up to 3 children
- Family Main Deck Window: $395 per family of 2 adults and up to 3 children
Meet the characters that shaped with west coast region with our onboard video interpretations. Hear stories of hardship and triumph from Captain James Kelly, Lady Jane Franklin, Aboriginal Tasmanians, convicts, prison guards, piners and environmental activitists.
Historic tales filled with drama, mystery and intrigue, take them in as you glide down the ancient Gordon River.
The Gordon River Cruise will first take you through the notorious Hells Gates, where the harbour and the Southern Ocean meet. From there, you will make your way across Macquarie Harbour to the fish farms where you’ll learn the fascinating story of salmon and trout farming on the west coast of Tasmania (and have a taste of the delicious produce). From the fish farms we then make our way to the beautiful Gordon River.
GORDON RIVER & HERITAGE LANDING
While quietly cruising the Gordon River with Spirit of the Wild's electric motors you will take in the breathtaking scenery and calm of our pristine World Heritage-listed wilderness. Stopping at Heritage Landing, take a walk through the temperate rainforest, learning of the local flora and fauna while wandering elevated boardwalks that thread their way between the magnificent rainforest species. As well as sassafras and myrtle, you can stand in awe next to the pride of the forest, an ancient Huon pine.
To finish, explore the ruins of Sarah Island – a once dreaded penal colony – before returning to Strahan where you can continue your Tasmanian adventure. Your guided tour on Sarah Island will regale you with convict tales that will send shivers up your spine.
- We offer interpretation in German, French, Cantonese and Mandarin. At no cost, passengers can use our headsets to hear about 16 key points of interest. And the technology means that you don't need to press any buttons along the journey, and you can listen to the translations while outside on the viewing decks.
- We provide equality of services and care to everyone, regardless of people’s age, disability, gender, gender identity, race, religion or belief or sexual orientation. Click here for accessibility information.
- We cruise on Christmas Day, departing at 8:30am and returning at 3:00pm. An additional $25pp applies to all tickets on Christmas Day, with extras added to your cruise, including a chef-hosted lunch.
A Breathtaking Experience
The Gordon River Cruise was without doubt one of the most enjoyable and memorable experiences I have ever had. It is certainly the highlight of my trip to Tasmania.
My husband and I went on this cruise, we upgraded to the premium deck on the morning of the cruise on a bit of a whim and WOW! what a day we had! The leather recliners were really comfortable, the ladies looking after the premium deck on that day were happy, informative, lots of fun and they seemed as if they enjoy they jobs immensely!